Reports to: Controller
Share this job:
Responsible for the accumulation and processing of all documents and information needed to generate accounting records and provide effective management controls. Provides financial schedules and information about company activities for senior management. Processes payroll and handles all related reporting requirements. Is responsible for regulatory reporting and compliance with all federal, state and local laws. Other major responsibilities for this position include providing professional backup and support for the other positions in the accounting department.
Essential job functions
- Performs month-end reconciliations and prepares work papers for preparation of internal monthly financial statements and any external audits.
- Develops and implements proper keeping of financial records, making use of current technologies.
- Examines accounting records, including financial statements and other financial reports, to assess accuracy, completeness and conformance to standards defined within the department.
- Is responsible for monthly and quarterly state sales tax reporting. Assures compliance with corporate federal, state and local income and other tax laws and requirements by researching regulations and verifying conclusions with CPA tax experts as appropriate.
- Assists in compiling tax work papers and schedules for use in the preparation of the corporate federal and state income tax returns.
- Prepares analyses of company and departmental performance, focusing on areas of risk and opportunity for performance improvements.
- Works with departmental directors and other employees as appropriate to gather information, evaluate options, elicit support and ensure successful implementation of recommendations.
- Works with chief financial officer to manage overall departmental workload and assess and implement opportunities for automation and process refinements.
- Is responsible for payroll activities, including processing of biweekly and special payrolls. Coordinates closely with the Director of Human Resources to perform payroll function.
- Handles regulatory reporting, in compliance with federal, state and local payroll tax requirements, including coordination of annual 401(k) audit and filing processes.
- Uses the Coffey timekeeping system to keep an accurate record of time spent on various job activities.
- Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either orally or in writing.
Education, skills and experience required
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance.
- Five-plus years' hands-on managerial accounting experience preferred.
- Strong financial statement, general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and income tax knowledge.
- Works with the highest level of integrity and confidentiality.
- Capable of independently identifying and managing personal and team responsibilities to meet deadlines, anticipate support opportunities and ensure thorough completion of all assigned duties.
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency in Excel spreadsheet applications, as well as significant experience with and responsibility for accounting and reporting systems (Microsoft Dynamics GP preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, work on and complete many varied tasks simultaneously while meeting deadlines and working well under deadline pressure.
- Strong verbal, interpersonal and presentation skills, including the ability to communicate complex technical issues in a clear, concise, easy-to-understand manner.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other members of the team.