Information Technology Manager
Department: Information Technology
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Share this job:
This position is responsible for the development of an overall company information systems strategy and supporting purchase recommendations, design, configuration, implementation, security, support and management of the company's information infrastructure. This position is required to manage technology projects and actively communicate all project decisions and statuses with the CEO, senior management and all affected users. This includes maintaining a thorough knowledge of existing hardware and software in use to maximize efficiency of the network and users' utilization of resources. This position will also participate in the creation and enforcement of processes and procedures to guarantee the health and security of all company technology and information assets.
Essential job functions
- Responsible for strategic, long-range planning and goal setting for electronic systems of the company under the direction of top management with input from leaders of user departments and members of the IS support team.
- Keeps current with relevant, emerging technology and advises management of the potential effect this technology may have on company needs and objectives. Knowledge of web applications and other electronic communication platforms is a crucial area of awareness. Researches, tests and recommends new technology where required.
- Responsible for all computer network activities including specifying system requirements and establishing, installing and maintaining all software/hardware/telecommunications equipment, users, user environments, directories and security. Fulfillment of these responsibilities will be accomplished through a blend of personal performance and management of services by a third party support team and local staff.
- Responsible for actively communicating project decisions and statuses with CEO, senior management and all users involved in and affected by the project. Also responsible for proactively reporting service issues to all affected users in a timely and clear manner. Completes projects on time and within budget.
- Establishes policies, procedures and standards that control the electronic and technology-related assets of the company. Responsible for the development, implementation and enforcement of a security plan to protect these assets and comply with HIPAA and PCI requirements.
- Completes PCI, security and other assessments to ensure certifications are maintained. Answers PCI, HIPAA, client and other security questionnaires, incorporating information from other resources as appropriate and submitting responses in a timely manner. Schedules and monitors performance of security testing, log reviews and other security functions.
- Gives the utmost priority to ensuring that backup, recovery and security procedures are set up and performed as planned and necessary to satisfy system expectations, safeguard against malicious/disastrous activities and facilitate prompt resumption of operations in the event of a partial or complete system loss.
- Monitors and evaluates health, efficiency and usage of all software/hardware to detect potential errors or problems and makes recommendations and modifications to make them more efficient and to keep them operating at full capacity. Demonstrates strong debugging/troubleshooting skills to resolve system issues quickly.
- Creates and maintains directly or through the support of third party professionals database table indexing, views, backups, SQL server log reviews/error corrections, database creation and changes and scheduled replication of databases.
- Cooperates and coordinates with the computer support team and participates in help desk requests as needed to enable the efficient performance of duties by the Coffey team.
- Assists in providing computer/network support relating to software/hardware for users in a courteous and friendly manner, setting appropriate expectations. Software support includes managing software licenses to ensure compliance with user counts and usage restrictions.
- Leads team meetings, eliciting team member support, and providing guidance and expertise as needed.
- Routinely checks voicemail, email and help desk ticketing system, especially after being away from the desk. Uses Project Insight for management of projects to facilitate scheduling of responsibilities for others and track completion of projects on time and within budget.
- Instructs and coaches staff members in team building, problem solving, quality control, and methods of developing reliable procedures and systems, with a strong focus on achieving complete internal customer satisfaction.
- Ensures that department is properly staffed and coordinated to perform duties effectively and efficiently. Takes responsibility, in harmony with Human Resources and in partnership with CEO, for the recruitment and selection of new department personnel.
- Understands, supports and applies all Coffey human resources policies (including items contained in the personnel manual), and all department policies and quality standards, and recommends changes of additions to them.
- Coordinates testing and patching processes with Digital Services team developers to ensure maximum system stability and effective service to Coffey clients.
- Creates and routinely tests a technology disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
- Becomes knowledgeable of Coffey environments, systems, infrastructures and business practices.
- Identifies areas where external expertise may be needed, reviews and recommends appropriate consultants, and monitors work to ensure timely and effective fulfillment of contracted responsibilities.
- Serves as HIPAA Security Officer and is responsible for creating, updating and ensuring compliance with departmental HIPAA policies and procedures in harmony with HIPAA Compliance Officer.
- Uses the Coffey timekeeping system to keep an accurate record of time spent on various job activities.
- Meets physical demands of the position including the ability to lift and handle up to 45 pounds of materials, bend, stoop and stretch as required for placement and retrieval of materials or equipment on shelving.
- Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either orally or in writing.
Education, experience and skills required
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent education or work experience.
- Minimum of ten years' experience in information systems with demonstrated expertise in network systems administration, database administration or security management.
- Minimum three years' management experience in an IS environment.
- Database, network and/or security certifications are a plus.
- Understanding of Windows physical and virtual server administration, database management, application management and network security principles.
- Technical proficiency with hardware and software on Windows computers.
- Must be able to read, understand and use information from complex manuals and guidelines related to hardware and software including telecommunications technologies.
- Superior organization skills and close attention to detail.
- Must possess a high level of discretion relating to confidential and security matters.
- Ability to prioritize, work on, and complete many varied tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work off-hours on short notice. If called into the office in an emergency, must be able to get from home to the office within 10 to 15 minutes.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communications skills. Must be patient and enjoy working with others.