Department: Information Technology
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Share this job:
This position is responsible for the maintenance, upgrade, support and management of the company's software, hardware and networks. You will be responsible for ensuring that the company's technology infrastructure runs smoothly and efficiently. This position will receive, prioritize, document and actively resolve end user help requests in person, by telephone or electronically in a timely and accurate fashion. This position will also provide end user training and assistance where required.
Essential job functions
- Responds promptly to help desk requests as needed to enable the efficient performance of duties by the Coffey team.
- Documents assistance requests and resolutions in the help desk system, escalates issues as needed and communicates issues with the Senior System Administrator and CEO.
- Responsible for proactively reporting service issues to all affected users in a timely and clear manner.
- Responsible for setting up network accounts and workstations.
- Responsible for installing and configuring software and hardware, ranging from servers to portable devices.
- At the direction of the Senior Systems Administrator, assists with all aspects of network server management.
- Monitors and manages security through access controls, network monitoring tools, group policy, and hardware and software firewalls.
- Gives the utmost priority to ensuring that backup, recovery and security procedures are set up and performed as planned and necessary to satisfy system expectations, safeguard against malicious or disastrous activities, and facilitate prompt resumption of operations in the event of a partial or complete system loss.
- Assists in providing computer and network support relating to software or hardware for users in a courteous and friendly manner, setting appropriate expectations. Software support includes administering software licenses to ensure compliance with user counts and usage restrictions.
- Conducts quarterly PCI scans and coordinates resolution of all issues to ensure continuing PCI compliance.
- Manages access for changes in user permissions and provides new employee orientations. Responsible for ensuring a smooth onboarding for all technology aspects for new employees.
- Troubleshoots, installs, repairs, maintains, configures and performs testing activities on various computer equipment, peripherals, software, data communication, phone system, mag-lock door system, security cameras and computer network systems. Resolution will be through independent research and response combined with collaboration with the IT vendor, and it will include documentation of all issues encountered and the components of their resolution.
- Monitors and evaluates health, efficiency and usage of all software and hardware to detect potential errors or problems and makes recommendations and modifications to make them more efficient and keep them operating at full capacity. Demonstrates strong debugging/troubleshooting skills to quickly resolve system issues.
- Responds to information security incidents. Assists management with incident remediation.
- Upgrades and tests systems with new releases, patch servers and endpoints in a timely manner to ensure maximum system stability and effective services.
- Provides training on features and best practices for system utilization.
- Assists Senior System Administrator with PCI and HIPAA/HITECH compliance requirements.
- Performs on-site functions for backup, including rotating and moving tapes off-site.
- Contributes to internal wiki with technical documentation, manuals and IT policies.
- Keeps current with relevant, emerging technology and advises management of the potential effect this technology may have on company needs and objectives. Knowledge of web applications and other electronic communication platforms is a crucial area of awareness. Researches, tests and recommends new technology where required.
- Must remain current with many computing and networking tools. Must regularly update technical skills by obtaining training in new hardware and software.
- Meets physical demands of the position, including the ability to lift and handle up to 45 pounds of materials, bend, stoop, and stretch as required for placement and retrieval of materials or equipment on shelving.
- Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either orally or in writing.
Education, experience and skills required
- Minimum of three years' proven experience as a System Administrator, Network Administrator or equivalent role.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent education or relevant work experience.
- Understanding of Windows and Linux physical and virtual server administration, database management, application management and network security principles.
- A minimum of five years' experience designing and installing LANs, WANs and WLANs in a production environment. Skills must include installation and configuration of hubs, switches and routers, as well as the installation and maintenance of Cat 3 through current cabling systems.
- A minimum of five years' experience planning, installing, and maintaining a Windows network. Experience with TCP/IP, WINS, DNS and DHCP protocols. A minimum of three years' experience with server virtualization and storage area networks.
- Knowledge of system security and data backup and recovery.
- Technical proficiency with endpoint management tool.
- Ability to create scripts in PowerShell, Bash or other languages.
- Experience with cloud-based services. Proficiency with Microsoft Dynamics and AWS preferred.
- Resourcefulness—the ability to diagnose and resolve problems quickly.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Be well organized and pay close attention to detail.
- Must possess a high level of discretion relating to confidential and security matters.
- Ability to prioritize, work on and complete many varied tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work off-hours on short notice. If called into the office in an emergency, must be able to get from home to the office within 15 minutes.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills. Must be patient and enjoy working with a variety of interdisciplinary teams and users, both technical and nontechnical.
- Strong customer service orientation and an interest in building open, trusting relations with users.