The Coffey Blog
5 ways to revitalize your healthcare marketing in 2017
Becky Kettner, Marketing Communications Manager
January may seem like prime time for a long winter's nap. But now is no time to hibernate. The start of a new year is an ideal opportunity to revisit your marketing goals, rethink your strategies and recharge your creativity.
Make a fresh start on your healthcare marketing
As you make plans to move forward in 2017, here are five approaches that can spur you on to success.
1. Begin with purpose. Return to your healthcare organization's mission. Does it drive the decisions you make every day? As you set goals, develop content and reach out to your customers this year, remember the "why."
Keeping your higher purpose in sight can go a long way toward building strong, authentic relationships with your customers.
2. Take stock of your existing materials. In the rush to keep the marketing wheels turning, it can be easy to lose sight of the campaigns and content you've already created. But those can be a rich resource to mine—or a dead weight that needs to be dropped. So as you develop an editorial plan for the coming year, invest some time in looking back at the content and campaigns of the past. What words and images can be refreshed and reused? Which ideas inspire a new take? What content gaps still need to be filled?
Do a deep dive—and not just into your hard drive. From your waiting rooms to your website, look around at what's working, what's outdated and what needs a refresher.
3. Make an editorial calendar. An editorial calendar can be an excellent tool to focus your marketing efforts. And it doesn't have to be complicated to be helpful. If you haven't used one before, start with a simple spreadsheet that maps out your content needs for the year.
You might organize it around health observances, marketing campaigns or service rollouts. In any case, determine what content needs to be created from scratch, what can be repurposed from your archives, who will create it, and when you need to start and finish. When you have a framework to follow, even a simple one, you're more likely to reach your goals.
4. Get inspired. Commit to spending a few minutes every day gathering creative inspiration. This is time well spent. It can help you see the big picture and avoid burnout.
Where can you turn? Read a marketing blog while you drink your morning coffee. Browse award-winning campaigns before a brainstorming meeting. Or check out how other industries are pushing the envelope on social media. Your imagination is hungry—so feed it!
5. Build bridges between stakeholders. As a healthcare marketer, you interact with a wide range of co-workers, customers and neighbors—all invested in the services your organization provides. They can give you unique insight into the needs and opportunities within your community. So when you go to local events, talk with department heads or chat with patient-facing staff, keep your ears open. And when you encounter people who share a goal, play matchmaker. When your colleagues and community agree, it's easier to make progress. Teamwork is pretty powerful stuff.
We're on your team
There's nothing quite as satisfying as setting a goal and seeing it become a reality. We're here to help turn your inspiration into achievement. For ideas on how we can help, give us a call at 888.805.9101.