How to create a compelling Annual Report
Combine print and digital strategies to create maximum exposure and engagement.
It’s time to start thinking about your annual report. Ugh, I know. But what has been a compilation of a lot of text and data in the past can be something more creative and compelling for the future. Think of your annual report as part of your marketing strategy. Creating an annual report is a lot of work, and to do it only to get your data on paper misses an opportunity to engage and connect with your audience.
If creating an annual report that is interesting and unique leaves you feeling intimidated, consider these tips:
- Tell your story. An annual report is more than just a legal requirement; it is a reflection of what you do and how you are succeeding. Rather than just reporting data, anchor your annual report around a core narrative or theme. Was there something specific that influenced your work throughout the year? Did your work create significant change? Look for a theme and build on it.
- Keep your audience in mind. It’s Marketing 101: Know who you’re talking to. Know how to reach them and what appeals to them. Armed with this knowledge, you can create content that will engage with your readers.
- Communicate long-term goals. In addition to highlighting your most significant achievements, why not leave your readers wanting more? Keep your readers engaged over the next year by adding a section that focuses on your long-term strategies and goals for the year ahead and a description of how you plan to achieve them.
- Be consistent with branding. It is essential that your annual report reflect your branding so that readers can easily identify it with your organization. Use consistent design, colors, imagery and other branding elements. Humanize your brand by including quotes and testimonials. Highlight interesting and unusual facts that reflect your brand story.
- Choose the right format. Unlike in the past, today there are many engaging ways to tell your brand story, whether in print or digital. Let’s explore the benefits of each:
- A common reason for producing an annual report in digital format is that you are not limited on page count or printing costs. More often than not, you’ll be able to reach a larger audience faster, cheaper and more effectively with an annual report that is digital. A digital format can include calls-to-actions to track engagement. It also gives you the option to add more features such as videos and interactive content.
- Like other print pieces, a printed annual report appeals to readers who still want to enjoy a personal, tactile experience. A well-written and illustrated annual report that is printed can be just as exciting and engaging as digital formats. And print allows you to target your audience so that you deliver your annual report directly to the mailboxes of the readers you want to engage.
Connecting the dots
Creating an annual report in both print and digital formats will give readers the personal experience of a printed piece while showing a larger audience that your organization is committed to innovation through an interactive digital annual report. Coffey can help you with an overall strategy to help your organization benefit from both print and digital. Call 888.805.9101 or email us to learn more about our print and digital services.
Are you getting the level of service you expect?
Top takeaways from 2022 spring healthcare marketing conferences
Health behaviors: Tips to promote and inspire change