Spring cleaning tips for your healthcare website
Regular maintenance is important for your healthcare website. Here are six things to look for in your routine site reviews.
Spring cleaning is a welcome ritual for those looking to clear clutter. So what better time to give your healthcare website a good cleanup? Like a tidy home, a well-organized website is efficient—and reflects well on the owner.
Here are a few tips from our experts that can help you review and update your website.
- Check all contact information. Does your website still list a former provider? Are the correct contacts listed for each department? Are phone numbers, office hours and services offered correct?
- Click through the site map. Make sure your site map is up-to-date and reflects any content changes you’ve made. An accurate site map will help people navigate your site more easily. It might help your search engine performance as well. Some content management systems, like Coffey’s, automatically update your site map for you when content changes.
- Test internal links. Links break. It happens to even the best hospital websites. But broken links can create a frustrating user experience and may keep people from finding the information they need. So make sure to check for, and fix, broken links regularly.
- Evaluate external links. This includes links from your site to another website as well as links from other websites to you. During your external link audit:
- Check links from your site to others. Do they still point to the right place?
- Check links that point to your site. There are a variety of free tools that can help you see where people link to you. If you find broken links, you can fix them, redirect them to a relevant page or reach out to the organization that linked to you with a suggestion for fixing the link.
- Update service pages. Start by reviewing your services list. Are all the services listed still relevant? Have you added a new service or discontinued one? Then read each service page to make sure it's current. Finally, make sure each service page contains a call to action so that readers know what step to take next.
- Clean up events and promotions. Make sure your calendar contains information about all your current events and promotions—and remove any outdated listings. This is super important. Consumers don’t want to read about an “upcoming” event after it’s already happened.
Need help getting your site up-to-date?
Does your website need more than a simple cleanup? Coffey can help. Connect with one of our experts to learn about our website audit and design services. To learn more, give us a call at 888.805.9101, or email us.